The overlook gets its name from the dominant ridge in the foreground, Lenox Ridge. On the other side of the ridge, on Oklahoma Highway 63, is the current Lenox Mission Church and Lenox community. The original Lenox Mission was located 4 miles west of the present day church. Interpretive signs at this overlook cover the history of the original mission and the historic and prehistoric residents of the Kiamichi River Valley.
The original Lenox Mission was founded in 1853 by S.L. Hobbs. The mission was named for the home town of Dr. Hobbs’ wife, Cornelia Sears of Lenox, New Hampshire. Dr. Hobbs was sent as a missionary to the Choctaw people by the American Board of commissioners of Foreign Missions. He served in this capacity until his death.